Simplicity 9919 – Mermaid Costume

WARNINGIf you are considering this pattern, take flat pattern measurements before starting. I shortened the skirt 9 inches and took 2 inches out of the armholes/upper chest/upper back. The waist on the skirt, as directed to be made, is more than 5 inches too big for my daughter, and as you can see, she is swimming in the top.

Update:mermaid
The costume top is as large as the bottom. The back of the envelope says that a size 3 is for a 38 inch tall child. My daughter is 38.5 inches tall. I didn’t bother to shorten the hem on the top, but I had to take 2 inches (1 from the front, and 1 from the back) out of the armholes/upper chest/upper back. I expected the top to be large circumferentially; DD is very slender.

Is it too much to ask that the pattern fit the sizes as indicated on the back of the pattern envelope?

Instead of hemming or binding the top, I did a rolled edge on my serger using a varigated thread. I really like that look on lightweight fabrics.

Pattern Description:
Costume pattern for Disney characters Jasmine and Ariel (mermaid). The top is a bra on a shell, and the bottoms are either yoked pants or a yoked skirt. This is for the skirt, only. I’m still making the top.

Pattern Sizing:
Children’s 3-8. It runs very large.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
It’s hard to tell with the mermaid in the picture sitting.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I suppose, but they were terrible. I think Simplicity has tried to dumb down the sewing methodology. Instead of interfacing, they tell you to use 3 layers of the fashion fabric one of which is called interfacing. Instead of telling you how long to cut the elastic, they give you a pattern piece called elastic guide.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
LIKE: DD wants to be Ariel for Halloween. There aren’t very many mermaid costumes patterns available.

DISLIKE: The instructions were just awful. It’s enormous.

Fabric Used:
Teal “confetti dot” knit. Green tissue lame for the ruffles, aka fins. Off-white poly chiffon for the shell. Hot pink tissue lame for the bra.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I used interfacing on the yoke. I lined the skirt and bound the waist because the confetti dot fabric was “owie”.

I cut 9 inches off the skirt length. Maybe it’s supposed to trail on the ground, but that just isn’t practical for a 3 year old. Because I cut off the 9 inches, I cut off the front slit/curvature. I debated putting the slit back on, but then the skirt would have been slit up to DD’s crotch, and that really isn’t a look that I favor for DD. I simply sewed the bottom ruffle on the bottom of the skirt.

I used my ruffler instead of gathering whenever possible.

The waistband elastic is about 4 inches too long.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Probably not and no. I’m disgusted with this pattern. Instead, I recommend that you get a staight skirt w/elastic waist pattern and put a ruffle on the bottom. Heck, you could cut a rectangle of fabric for the skirt, put a waistband on, and add the ruffle.

I haven’t finished the top, but my hunch is that a top from a bikini pattern would work better than the shell/bra combo.

Conclusion
This pattern sucks.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s