Parkbench Patterns Woodstock

Update/Correction:  I did not finish the sleeves with a rolled hem. I turned under 1/2″ and hemmed them. The yellow dots in the image are pin heads and the buttons are pinned to the tail.woodstock

I still like it a lot, probably because of the fabric which I LOVELOVELOVE, and I finally decided on small black buttons. Now, I have to decide where to place them. It would be much easier if I weren’t concerned about nursing access. I’m thinking of doing just 2 buttons, up high; when I use the pins, as shown in the image, it stays closed but allowes for easy nursing access. I could do 4 buttons, but then I’d have to unbutton to feed DS, and I find the more fussing you do to get ready, especially if it looks like you are undressing, the more attention you draw to yourself. Anyway, I don’t think I’ll use the metallic thread on the buttonholes, just black.

Pattern Description:
Assymetric vest/top in 2 lengths and bias wrap skirt. I made the longer top.

Pattern Sizing:
It comes in one size. The back of the envelope gave a finished bust measurement of 40″. I’m not sure what that has to do with the pattern because that’s not the finished dimension . It’s more like 46″. The back also says “Measurements listed are approximate.”

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
The neck opening, in front, is not symmetric on me. Other than that, and allowing for the fact that I have large breasts and the figures on the pattern envelope have no breasts, I’d say it looks pretty close.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I don’t know. I didn’t follow them. I don’t think I even looked at them. There isn’t much to this top. Sew the shoulder seams, sew the side seams, finish the armholes, finish the neck, fronts, and hems, and do the closure.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
LIKE: The assymetry of it. The simplicity of it.

DISLIKE: Not only is there one size, the the sizing information is incorrect.

Fabric Used:
Purple rayon print.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I added 1 inch at all side seams, including the armholes, which made a bit more of a cap sleeve top, not a vest. I cut 2 inches off the front overlay because it ended right on the middle of my breast, and I don’t think I need to call more attention to them.

I finished the hems with a rolled hem using a metallic thread.

There is no information in the pattern on where or how to do the closures, so you have to decide how to do that. I haven’t done them yet. The mermaid costume took priority.

Next time, I would lengthen short side of the front by an inch. It’s just a wee bit too short on me. And I think I will shorten the tail. I don’t have a flat butt, and the tail gets hung up on me.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would sew it again. I like it.

I would recommend it to a more experienced sewer who is interested in experimenting. The one size issue and the lack of information on closures makes this pattern unsuitable for beginners.

Conclusion
I think it’s a fun top.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s