New Look 6959 OOP
I finished hemming the sleeves on all of these. They are ready for the last bit of serging. Next time, I’m going to coverstitch in the round. I belong to the Elna Serger Mailing List. Bryden posted these instructions for finishing off the coverstitch:
finishing coverstitch –
stop and make sure the needles are at the highest position, raise the presser foot, and pressing the tension release hook your allen key (the thingy you tighten the needles up with) behind the threads (under the foot) and hook them towards you – cut through the threads and then remove your work to the back of the machine. This pulls the needle threads through to the reverse of your work ready to tie off
It works marvelously.
I put the FOE on KS 3055. It was easier and less visible to use a small zigzag than the narrow coverstitch.
I think I know why the neckline on the french dart t-shirt is funneling. I bet I used a 1/4 inch seam allowance, instead of the 5/8 inch seam allowance. I decided to make all these tshirts for 2 reasons. First, to get the pink with blue flowers cotton/lycra knit out of my stash. Second, if I made them all at the same time, I wouldn’t be rethreading the serger and sewing machine for each tshirt. Also, an assembly line process is faster. However, the Kwik Sew patterns all have 1/4 seam allowances, I put a 5/8 inch seam allowance on the Burda Plus T-shirt in case I needed to let it out, and the New Look tank has an easy to confuse mix of 5/8 seam allowances and 3/8 hem allowances. I sew at night. It’s the only time I have free when I don’t have a child hanging on me, so I’m tired. It’s easy to make mistakes, like putting the waistband on wrong on KS 2788. At least, this mistake is easily fixed. I’m still not sure what I’m going to do about that skirt.