- President Bush has promised to veto the Defense Authorization Bill if it contains language submitted by Senator John McCain prohibiting “cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment of persons in the detention of the U.S. government.” This language would apparently unacceptably narrow the category of behavior that the administration considers permissible under its secret definition of torture.
- “Those who enter the country illegally violate the law.”—President George W. Bush, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005
Really? Are you sure it’s illegal to violate the law?
- If we’re “not going to torture, period, … even in a situation where you have custody of someone who might have the launch codes of an atomic bomb that’s about to go off in Washington D.C. and may kill millions of Americans and that person has the information that may save millions of lives, the president has said we’re not going to torture…We don’t believe in torture, and we’re not going to engage in torture.”, then why can’t you “get into a discussion about specific methods of questioning people who have information that may save American lives”? Well, Condoleezza? Which is it? If we don’t torture, then we don’t torture; tell us what the questioning methods are.
- I got this in the e-mail today:
Subject: Re:Tookie Williams
Thank you for your correspondence regarding Stanley Williams.
There is a court order currently in place that calls for Mr. Williams to be executed by the State of California on December 13, 2005, and Mr. Williams has, through his attorneys, expressed his desire for the Governor to grant him clemency in this matter.
Capital punishment is an issue about which many people hold strong and impassioned views, and Governor Schwarzenegger appreciates you taking the time to express yours with regard to Mr. Williams. Your correspondence will be given due consideration during the clemency process.
Thank you again for writing.
ANDREA LYNN HOCH
Legal Affairs Secretary
I wonder if the governor knows that I call him the governator?
- Buffy the Wal-Mart Slayer Ha! Did you bash Walmart, today?
- when married couples feel consistently hostile towards one another, the delay in the healing process can be doubled. Maybe this will get DH to go to couples therapy with me.
- Sewing machines are like firearms- complicated machinery that almost always works much better than its operators. What? I wonder what this person is making with her sewing machine.