We got the following handout in group today. My notes are in red, and the handout is in black.
High Value on Weight/Shape eating disorder starts with “I want to be thin.”
Inaccurate Beliefs in 3 areas: develop rules & distorted thoughts on how body works
- Body weight expectations
- Self-worth based on Shape/Weight If I am thin, …
- Eating Patterns (inaccurate beliefs about the digestive system, metabolism, food, and how to influence your body weight) i.e. fat phobic, low carb, high protein, etc
Beliefs about Food and Body
Dissatisfaction with Body Shape/Weight
Rigid, Restrictive Eating Pattern designed to control Body Shape/Weight
Eating regulated by Self-generating Rules rather than through Internal Signals of Hunger and Satiety
Rules: How often, Type, How much
Physiological and Psychological Deprivation
Strong hunger cues, focus on food, loss of control
Binging (Pleasure, anxiety about weight gain, devalue self)
- to compensate for calories consumed
- to decrease anxiety over concerns about weight gain
- to regain a sense of self-control
Thoughts about lack of self-control; failure and anger for breaking rules.
Reinforce beliefs of low self-worth,
Strengthen the desire to gain control.
Some of my rules are:
Eat only apples, carrots, skim milk
I can’t eat my morning snack until 10 am
If I eat too much, I must exercise for 3 hours and not eat tomorrow.
Exercise must be “pure” exercise; gardening etc doesn’t count.
I don’t deserve to eat because I’m fat.