Oh, yeah! He’s an Oaktree. You can’t escape the hair line, not even as a baby.
This is a quarter yard of fleece from Joann’s. I sewed it into a tube and turned it. Viola! a scarf.
My kids love it. Originally, I was going to give it to Pulguito as his scarf, but the kids started fighting over it the minute it came off the sewing machine, so I kept it for me.
I compared the original pattern piece to my TNT KS t-shirt, and I need 1.5 more inches to get CF to center front. My boob apex (aka bust point) just barely made it onto the pattern piece. I added “tissue” below the bust point so that I could have a vertical cutting line. The next step is to slash the vertical line thru the bust point and almost to the armhole. You want to leave a little hinge at the armhole to rotate the pattern pieces. The final prep step is to slash from the side seam almost to the bust point, again, leaving a little hinge.
If I were going to use a traditional side dart, I would fill in the pink areas with “tissue”. The blue lines indicate approximately where I would put the new dart. I’d have to add dart legs to be sure to catch all of the dart in the side seam.
I did have to fill in the pink areas from the previous photo with “tissue”. Then I slashed thru the newly created horizontal(ish) dart to the bust point, leaving a little hinge, and slashed vertically under the translated bust point. When I closed the side dart, I got a little bitty dart under the bust point. I’m not going to bother sewing it, tucking it, or otherwise gathering it separate from handing the rest of the under boob gathering.
My only concern now is whether or not I should have shifted the bottom fullness more towards the center. Oh, well, we shall see. I’ve cut out the altered pattern.
This is a polyester knit from Joann’s. It’s pretty plasticky feeling, but it was cheap, and it’s good for a fitting toile.
It fits the bust really well. I like the neckline. Too bad it’s too small.
I don’t know about your kids, but I can’t get my kids to do a craft or other creative activity unless I do it with them. Pulguito wanted to work with wood, and he dug out of the craft storage cabinet a little bucket with popsicle sticks and little bits of wood in it. What’s a mom to do? Well, this mom sat down with her pulguito and made stuff. I was bored with making popsicle stick boxes pretty quickly and decided to mix things up a bit by adding sticky foamies and felt pieces to the craft mix. This is the result. I don’t think it’s half bad. I hung it up in my office at work. 🙂
This is Decades of Style 1902: 1920 Tunic with Kimono Sleeve. Here, I am fitting the pattern pieces on my DTD (duct-tape-double) aka ‘Tina. I decided to forgo the full bust alteration (FBA). However, there was inadequate ease in the hips. I decided to go with the width specified on the center front pattern piece. The instructions suggest that you measure your neck width, and they show you how, but on ‘Tina, it looked like there was just barely enough ease to fit the boobs.
I had some problems with the inset corners. I don’t know why, but I always cut too deeply when snipping the corners. Then I have a terrible time. I suppose someday, I will learn.
I got all excited and forgot to use a bias piece for the back neck facing. I just turned under the hem allowance and finished it. It seems to be working, but we shall see how it stands up to wear and tear.
Here’s the finished top. My shoulders are much more square than the model’s on the pattern envelope, what? And I have gigantic boobs where she has none.
I used a light weight cotton for the back/sleeve piece and a silk pique for the rest of it. I’m pleased with how it came out.
Isn’t that cute? It’s not even from the early 1930s, like most of my patterns. This one is from the late ’30s or early 40s. The puffy sleeves give me pause, but maybe they would be okay on me. I used to love them when I was a teenager.
The pattern envelope was funny: high neck waist? What does that mean? We’d call it a funky empire waist. I’ll have to ask my mom what it means.
The fabric recommendations tickle me, too. Printed material?
Well, Pulguito’s behavior problems are not a result of delayed speech. He had just turned 4 when he was tested. His “Age Equivalent” for receptive language is 5 years 11 months, and his “Age Equivalent” for expressive language is 4 years 11 months. His use of grammar and sentence structure are within average limits. He uses 9-10 words per utterance when telling a story with the aid of visual cues. He has some minor articulation errors, but that is probably due to his underbite and should be corrected when the underbite is corrected.
We’ve scheduled an overall assessment for him for August.
Daycare asked for a conference with us, and we plan on having that next week.
He can be so sweet. Big sigh.