Cheongsam and PJ bottoms
You can’t tell in the picture, especially since I just pressed it, but the closure gapes. I use sew in snaps to keep it closed. I lengthened the back piece by a couple of inches because on the first version, it gaped so bad that you could see my skin. I mean, there just wasn’t enough overlap between the 2 layers.
I did not alter the front piece. This piece is cut on the “bias” or whatever you would call it on a knit, and it stretches like crazy. I ran a line of serger overlock along the edge to gather it up, but I didn’t gather it enough or it slipped or something. Anyway, I love the top, but I still don’t like the closure.
Version 3, inside out
So I’m on version 3. For this one, I kept the extension on the back front piece, and I decided to cut and interface a facing. You can see the facing, sorta, in the Version 3, inside out image. I cut the facing “on grain”. I didn’t want it to stretch. I made it the same length as the front front piece where the opening is. (Hm, that could use a picture.) After interfacing it, I checked it to make sure it had not stretched. I wasn’t going to run a line serger overlock on the front-front piece. I figured that I didn’t need the bulk, but it was almost twice as long as the facing, so I serged it and pulled the needle threads to shrink it back up.
Version 3, right side out
In the closeup, with the flash, I’m not thrilled with the seam allowance showthru (cf. Version 3, right side out). However, IRL, I don’t think it shows that much.
Progress, so far.
I was maid-of-honor for a girlfriend, and the first bridesmade dress she picked out for me was aubergine with a high neck. I felt like a big eggplant in it. I’m wondering how I’ll feel in in this top. It’s a whole lotta pink which ordinarily would be just fine with me, but the high neck makes me a wee bit nervous.